Crow pose! It can be done!
Crow pose it awesome and this is why…
It is a FABULOUS reminder that Yoga is not about creating the perfect shape but about the juicy journey and the return to the mat.
That is perhaps the biggest benefit of Bakasana or Crow pose.
In this special Halloween episode of Yoga With Adriene we learn the foundations of Crow Pose. Bakasana is a Hatha Yoga arm balance that challenges the mind body connection in the most fun way and strengthens the core. It strengthens the abdominal organs which can aide in indigestion and support the lower back. Also known as the Crane pose, this posture strengthens the arms, the wrist, the back body and the abdominal organs. This asana also teaches us and reminds us of the importance of integration in our postures. We work to create a full body experience to fly in our posture. Keep your gaze forward and rock in and out of it. Stay positive! Crow is a wonderful posture to return to again and again for inspiration and a reminder to focus on the practice. Breathe deep, take your time and enjoy the journey! The journey is the reward!
Adriene’s Top Tips (Action Points) for Bakasana
- Take your time
- Build from the ground up. Pay attention to your hands. Press up and out of the knuckles and palms.
- Find, keep finding and keep finding that upward current of energy. Maintain this and you will fly!
- Draw your naval in towards the spine and hollow upper back.
- Keep the gaze forward. A dance teacher once told me what were my eyes go I will go- when working on lifts and jumps. This goes for crow pose too- keep the gaze soft and focused forward. If it is collapsed and down- so you will you collapse and fall down. 🙂
- If you do fall… smile, shake it off and breathe. Begin again.
- Draw the shoulders down away from the ears. Create space.
- Place a pillow in front if that helps quiet the mind
- In time, straighten the arms and draw arches of the feet together
- Have fun and enjoy the ride
Benefits of Crow Pose
- Tones the abdominal wall
- Strengthens abdominal organs to aide in lower back pain and indigestion
- Strengthens arms
- Stretches and strengthens the back
- Stretches and strengthens inner thighs
- Opens the groin
- Strengthens the wrists! TRUTH! Practice.
- Builds endurance and focus – mental focus and calm!
CUE: I’LL FLY AWAY
Challenge yourself and remember THERE IS NO RUSH!
Let me know how it goes!